Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Wall of Darkness






     Yesterday my husband and I traveled from New York to Sedona, Arizona.  It was a long day of traveling.  Because I have never been to Arizona, I was very excited to land in Phoenix and anxious to see the beautiful red rocks that I knew awaited us in Sedona.   Leaving the airport in Phoenix, I have to admit I was very disappointed.  I am not sure what I expected, and I am sure Phoenix is a lovely city, but to me it looked flat and uninviting.  I was eager to start our 2 hour drive to Sedona.  Although the highway views were a bit more interesting with the occasional group of saguaro cacti and some unusual rock formations, again I was unimpressed.  By time we reached Sedona, it was dark and we were very tired.  We pulled into the resort and I just prayed for a unit with a view.  We found our unit and there it was facing the parking lot.  It was disappointing to say the least.  But I am a forever optimist so I thought to myself:  no big deal, we don’t plan to spend a lot of time in our room anyway.  When I woke up in the morning my husband had already been awake and was outside reading on the balcony.  I asked him if he was enjoying the view of the parking lot and he laughed.  He said he was and I should come out and join him.  This is what I saw.                                      


 

 Sure, we overlooked the parking lot, but the walls of darkness had blocked the spectacular view beyond.  

      I had a very similar experience to this several years ago when I visited a dear friend in Seattle Washington.  Her home had a panoramic view of the city and the mountains that lay beyond.  My sister and I were taken by the beauty of the mountains that was our daily backdrop.  My friend however, just laughed at us and told us we needed to wait until the mountains were out.  Clearly, to us, the mountains were indeed out and they were beautiful.  One day during our stay we woke up to our friend telling us to get up because the mountains were out.  We stumbled out into the living room, and were rendered absolutely speechless.  Beyond the mountains we had been looking out each day rose the highest, snow covered peaks we had ever seen.  I never imagined something so magnificent could have been there all that time, and yet be hidden.    We thought we had already experienced the beauty, but we had no idea of the potential that was hidden by the clouds and haze.

     As a teacher, I feel like that visitor enjoying the view, without truly understanding the potential of what lies beyond.  I have been excepting the walls of darkness and have vowed to make the best of things.  We need to start looking past the darkness, past the haze and clouds and reach out to the world beyond.

Crumble, crumble, crumble

KH

 

No comments:

Post a Comment