Saturday, October 11, 2014

Faced with a New Challange

    So far, this year has been very exciting.  I have been trying new things which have been welcomed in my class.  Now I am faced with a new challenge that I know I will need help with.  I have a remarkable student in my class who needs to be given the opportunity to be challenged daily.  I have had very bright students before that needed the classwork to be differentiated in order to meet their needs, but this is different.  This student's knowledge is beyond the 4th grade and at the same time he is just a little boy.  I gave our year end math test and he got 20 out of 22 questions correct..  Mind you this is only October and we have only completed 2 topics out of 16 in math  He is reader like I have never seen before. Last year he read a total of 87 book including the complete Harry Potter series which he completed in 3 weeks.  He was 8 years old. He has an unexpected understanding of the world around him and needs no prodding to research anything he is interested in.  In short, he really does not need to simply trudge through the complete 4th grade curriculum.  He has a thirst for knowledge that goes beyond the walls of our classroom.  I struggle with knowing how to meet his needs. I have no problem enriching his language skills, but when it comes to math and science, he needs more than I can give him by differentiating my instruction.  I was considering flipping the classroom for him so he can explore subjects and advance his math skills at his own pace.  My problem is I am not so sure how to do this.  Has anyone been successful in doing this for a particular student?  I would love your ideas and suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment