Friday, July 24, 2015

Person (Professional) Learning Network - PLN

This summer I have begun work with a program through the Lutheran Schools Association of NY called Future Leaders Academy.  I am honored to be part of this group of Lutheran Educators who feel called to explore leadership roles within Lutheran Education.  Many of our assignments are of the reflective type and I will be sharing those reflections on this forum.  It is helpful to me to share my thoughts and look back on my growth and progress.  Perhaps I can gain insight from others who read my comments or inspire others to spend time reflecting on their own.

The members of the cohort were asked to consider creating a PLN for themselves.  This is referring to a personal (or professional) learning network.  A PLN is a way to personally and professionally make contact and build relationships with other educators throughout the world.  Through these relationships, there is collaboration and sharing of ideas.  These connections can open up your mind to new ideas and the relationships can be a great source of support. For more information on a PLN click here

This past year, I have been working on trying to create my own PLN.  The use of social media has been essential in this endeavor. Using twitter to connect with other educators has truly changed the way I teach.  Working in a small school can be isolating.  Twitter has allowed me to interact with people I never would have had the opportunity to connect with.  Participating in twitter chats have given me the sense that I am connected to a greater community where my voice can be heard and I can give and receive support. The connections I make and the resources I have been exposed to have grown exponentially.

I have tried to get some of my colleagues to get on board using twitter and some have begun to dapple in its potential. It can be intimidating if you have never used this powerful resource, but I encourage educators to not dismiss this as frivolous "social" tool.  Connecting with the world while having a purpose of growth and collaboration  can be truly transformative.

I wonder what experiences other educators have had.  Please share your thoughts.



1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog and your Tweets. Keep it up! My experience: Jumping into social media (Twitter, primarily for me; and then Zite for finding relevant blogs and articles) has opened my eyes to viewpoints and issues in education. It has stimulated my own thinking about foundational aspects of education. I encourage all teachers to be engaged online. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete