Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blogging...a Reason to Keep Writing

After a great deal of effort, our student blogs are finally online!  There were many delays as we tried to have all the students publish their blog posts at the same time.  With the help of some parents, we did some promoting of the blogs on social media and the students became very excited about the feed back they received.  They continue to check on their comments and page views often. Check out our Student Blogs!

As I had hoped, the idea of blogging has given my students an authentic reason to be writing.  It has given them a platform to use their voice even when they are trying to discover what that voice might be.  I have students who are writing about our school, sports they participate in, video games they love, fan fiction, families and stories to share.  They continue to ask for time to work on their blogs throughout the week.  Some have even been working on them at home, without being assigned to do so!  It is exciting to see the fire that has been ignited within them.

I have also begun using Google docs for my students' other writing assignments.  I began using this tool as a way for me to read and comment on the writing of a student who broke her leg and was not able to climb the stairs to our classroom.  It offered me a way to conference with this student during the writing process without being in the same room.  It was so successful, I began using it with the rest of my students as well.  This has led to some unexpected benefits.

First of all, as my students are writing, I am able to comment and keep them on task.  Knowing that I am able to join them on their document at any moment, they are more focused on their writing.  I also have time to focus more on my student's writing.  I have access to these documents whenever I have the time to read them as well as I can comment on all of my student's writing during our writing time in class.

The most surprising reslut of using Google docs has been my students' desire to keep writing even during our winter vacation!  My students had just turned in a project before vacation and I had decided not to give any work during their time off.  Several students came to me and asked if they could work on their writing at home now that they had access to their documents through Google docs.  That is a request I have never heard as a teacher and I have to admit, it lights a fire within me to find new ways to use these tools in my classroom.

I am excited to expand my use of Google tools with my students!

Have you used Google tools in your classroom?  I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment